Create Linksys WDS using dd-wrt tutorial
to perform WDS way, we need the following ingredients:
- at least 2 WRT54GL Linksys machine
- dd-wrt firmware
- your willingness
- Please read my previous post to get your Linksys WRT54GL flashed with our cool dd-wrt firmware. Without doubt, just flashed both of WRt4GL. Just to remember below is final result of flashed WRT54GL
- on the #1 WRT54GL (main accespoint), go to menu: Wireless>WDS. Once you get there, please attention to WDS settings and you will see Ten empty slot. Choose the first empty slot and change the 'Disable' to 'LAN' then fill the six MAC field that initially contain with '00' to your #2 WRT54GL wireless MAC address (to obtain the #2 wireless MAC, see #1 picture with red rectangle). Leave the rest of settings and to finish the setting for #1 WRT54GL press apply settings button at the botom.
- Now go to #2 Wrt54GL Setup>Basic Setup, that already flashed with dd-wrt firmware for sure, then disable DHCP server to avoid 2 DHCP server running on your network and change the routerIP to the different IP than the #1 WRT54GL (in my case I choose 192.168.1.2).
- Now you safe to connecting #2 WRT54GL to the Main Accespoint! to set WDS for this #2WRT54GL, please do the same way as the step No. 2 to fill #1 WRT54GL Wireless MAC address to WDS settings at #2 WRT54GL.
- Finally we're on the final step to complete the setting at #2 WRT54GL by clone the basic wireless settings as #1 WRT54GL. The easiest way is to just go to Wireless>Basic Settings and change the SSID and the channel then leave the rest.
- To see the result, just go to your main router (in my case I browse to http://192.168.1.1) and see the system info. You'll get the WDS Node has active.
- At this point, you already done the WDS setup and running. So you can test the achievement, on the spot where previously has weak signal, by monitor the wireless on your laptop wifi manager.